Name:
Location: Illinois, United States

Sunday, May 07, 2006

Peoria Chiefs and the Chicago Cubs

The Cubs lost again today.

I may be discouraged, but I am not about to give up on this team. I may not write about them much after tonight, because baseball people are superstitious, but I am not giving up on these guys.

The Cubs were winning when I last wrote about my passion for the team. Since then they have been dropping like a rock. So, of course, the only way they can redeem their winning ways is if I stop writing about them. Make sense doesn't it?

Baseball people are both intelligent and crazy. The strategizing, etc. shows the intelligent side. The crazy superstitions show the crazy side. Still, they go hand in hand with most baseball people.

Today, however, I am not truly writing about the Cubs, per se. I have a little good news today. Kerry Wood, the Cubs beleaguered big league pitcher, had a rehabilitation start in Peoria tonight. There he gave up one hit, one walk and struck out twelve Lansing Lugnuts over five innings. An exceptional outing you would expect from a premier pitcher like Wood.

Three years ago, my son and I had an opportunity to visit Wrigley. Yes, that was during the magical 2003 season. We watched the Cubs defeat the Florida Marlins behind the pitching of, you guessed it, Kerry Wood. The Florida Marlins team featured two players who have since moved on: Derrick Lee and Juan Pierre.

Last week I read where Kerry Wood would be pitching in Peoria, IL in a rehab start. I always wanted to visit a minor league baseball park and thought this would be a fun game for my son and I.

By the time I got on line to search out tickets, it was obvious that most of the seats were long gone. Plus with a late start and my son having school in the morning, it really did not seem like a good idea.

Instead, I looked at Saturday's seating. There were plenty of good box seats available for that game. On a lark, we decided to check it out.

We had an incredible time. If you enjoy baseball in the least and you live anywhere near a minor league club, you must go visit. I was so impressed.

True, the level of play was not up to major league standards, but there is plenty of talent on the field. Someday, these fellows are going to be Cubs. Or maybe Marlins or Blue Jays, but some of these guys have what it takes to make the jump.

During his first at bat I turned to my son and told him to watch first baseman Ryan Norwood. "This guy is going to be a major league player someday." During the eighth inning, my prediction looked more reliable as Norwood pounded one over the right field wall. (I am not that good. I had read about Norwood online and knew he had spent time with the Cubs during spring training.)

What really impressed me was not just the home run or the fact the Chiefs won the game 6 to 4. It was how the stadium was run and especially the fans who attended. Every person who worked for O'Brien Field, from the ushers to the people working the hot dog stands, was wonderful. They smiled. They asked if we were having a good time. They had enthusiasm. It was everywhere! It is what I would ask of my hotel clerks when I worked as a hotel manager. It is a hard concept to get across, but the people working for the Chiefs in Peoria have it mastered.

The fans were impressive as well. Oh, sure, there were a couple of fellows with loud, projecting voices they were certain everyone loved as much as they did. But what I saw were plenty of families. People were respectful of one another and really had a good time.

At one moment, a foul ball went over our heads and nearly bounced straight to me. Before it could get there an older gentleman with sure hands reached up and made a great play. We could not help but cheer.

My son had stepped away and went he returned I told him the story of the fellow who caught the foul ball. Two innings or so later, the man walked over to us and offered the ball to my son. I couldn't believe it. It could be that he is a season ticket holder and has his share of foul balls. He mumbled something about getting a signature before walking away.

Taking his suggestion to heart, at the end of the game, we stopped by the Chief's dugout. Infielder Brandon Taylor, who had the game-winning hit during the game, signed the ball first. Then Peoria manager and former Cub all-star Jody Davis grabbed a pen. There were plenty of boys, girls and fathers with programs and baseballs. It really made my son's day to get a foul ball and a couple signatures.

Overall, a simple idea for spending an afternoon turned into a really special day. I believe that the people managing and working for the Peoria Chiefs and O'Brien field has something very special. We will be back. I hope others will seek out the entertainment available through minor league baseball.

Today, I have included two new links. One is a Chicago Cubs link, which is an obvious choice being our favorite MLB team. I have also included the Peoria Chiefs, our new favorite minor league baseball team. Go there first and check it out!

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home