Name:
Location: Illinois, United States

Friday, April 28, 2006

JazzStage

"All a musician can do is to get closer to the sources of nature, and so feel that he is in communion with the natural laws." -- John Coltrane

"I don't care too much about music. What I like is sounds." -- Dizzy Gillespie

"Don't play what's there, play what's not there." -- Miles Davis

"The true musician is to bring light into people's hearts." -- Bobby McFerrin

Jazz speaks to the whole person. The heart, mind, spirit, senses and soul are all touched by the sound of jazz. Those who publicly state they dislike jazz do not even realize that much of what they listen to is either jazz or jazz influenced.

There are several jazz websites I intend to contribute to my podcast list, but I want to start with Detroit JazzStage for several reasons.

For one thing, it is my favorite jazz podcast. For another, like my blog, it is fairly new. It was started late last year by Dean and Rodney (who keep their last names carefully in the background). Earlier this year, they enlisted Jim Gallert to assist with the interviewing of these great artists.

What I especially appreciate is that they aren't pigeonholed with one specific style of jazz. With Phil Ogilvie's Rhythm Kings, they explored the more traditional jazz sound. With Jazzhead, we heard an interesting style sometimes referred to as "acid jazz".

Most recently, I was knocked out by pianist Buddy Budson who exhibited one of my favorite styles of jazz and also showed us during Gallert's provocative interview that he is a very thoughtful performer and writer.

Personally, I grew to love jazz when I was in the radio business. I was an announcer (I dislike the term "D.J.") who played plenty of Basie, Duke and Goodman as well as Grover Washington, Jr., Ramsey Lewis, Dave Grusin and Spyro Gyra.

I have found through the years that you can appreciate the stylings of the masters without being beholden to them. I love Miles Davis and John Coltrane, but I really enjoy hearing stories about their growth.

Some of the people you will hear on Detroit JazzStage may be newcomers, but you will also hear people who have been playing in national obscurity for years and years. Each one has a fascinating story to tell.

The podcasts are available about once each month. Each one is roughly ninety minutes to two hours in length. Occasionally, they offer a thirty minute or so treat mid-month to whet your appetite for what's to come.

The podcast is getting great press lately, so if you have any sort of interest in jazz, check out the website and download Detroit JazzStage.

Labels:

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Alexander,

I can't begin to tell you how much I appreciated reading your review. People like you keep us putting this program out. If you would like to be put on our mailing list please leave a request at jazzstage@gmail.com. We usually have behind the scenes info such as who is coming up next, bios, links and other news. I am going to send the people on our mailing list over to read this wonderful review. Our May show is from the great Detroit pianist Rick Roe. Rick has performed with a ton of big name performers and has been the winner or finalist in a few piano competitions. I know you will enjoy the latest show. Please post any comments on Itunes. We appreciate hearing from all of our listeners.

Rodney Reeves
http://jazzstage.us

12:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home