Name:
Location: Illinois, United States

Sunday, April 23, 2006

Harry and the Trib

Sunday Night and a new week starting tomorrow. I am one who like Mondays. Not to sound to much like a "Pollyanna" but there is always a feeling a promise to a new week.

Don't get me wrong, I like the weekends. I love the time with my family and a chance to relax (sometimes). But a new week means new experiences and new things to learn.

I didn't want the weekend to end without adding a couple of new links outside of the podcast links I add on Friday. You will see what I've added off to your left.

The Chicago Tribune is a site I look at nearly every day. There is a nice balance of world news and local (Chicago) news. Being the third largest city in the nation, what happens in Chicago and the things discussed in Chicago have an impact on the nation.

When you go to the site, check out a Washington reports blog they have called "The Swamp". If you are interested in national politics, there is some fascinating reporting found there. Rarely a day goes by without my visiting "The Swamp".

I have also included Harry Shearer's website. As you may know if you read my earlier blog entry about KCRW, I am a huge fan of Shearer's "Le Show". This site is a little overwhelming in its promotion of all things "Harry", but you can find information about the program including a listing of the music he includes on the show.

Shearer has a new CD available entitled "Dropping Anchors". I haven't purchased the CD yet, but he has included cuts during "Le Show" and they are very funny.

One of my favorite bits he's done on the show that isn't included (yet) on any CDs available is a song called "Crossing Fingers". It was written when our President made a big show of signing anti-torture legislation that McCain was promoting, and then quietly signing another piece that essentially said that there maybe circumstances when torture would still be okay.

The lyrics state, "Torture is torture no more. The ceiling is now on the floor. You can do anything if you don't own the cost, as long as your fingers are crossed." If you haven't heard it, go the "Le Show" archives and find the April 2, 2006 edition. It's worth it.

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home