Name:
Location: Illinois, United States

Thursday, May 24, 2007

Graduation Day

The task I get to perform tomorrow has an ironic twist. For me, it is a preparation for what will come in years too soon. Tomorrow night, I will hand out diplomas to our area high school students.

It is a task bestowed upon a cohort and me because none of the other school board members were interested. That sounds harsh, but being one of the newest board members, some of them wanted a year off. Last Friday I went to graduation practice. I now know how to shake their hands and deliver the package. It will be fun.

I know some of the kids. Some I remember from before they started school. Others I only met this year. Few of them know much about me. That’s expected. I could not name any of the school board members when I grew up, nor could I tell you who handed me my paper.

What makes this experience ironic is that I went to college years ago and received an associate degree, I had mailed to me. It is even more interesting that when I completed my bachelor’s degree more recently and had that mailed as well. You think I would be more interested in being handed a diploma than handing it out!

So why do I consider this practice for years to come? I have two children who will eventually graduate. One will reach that mark much sooner than the other. There is a chance I will be voted off the board before I get the opportunity for delivering the paper to either one, but somehow I think I’ll get the chance.

One thing I already know is that no one in the gym tomorrow will notice me or remember that I was even there. That is just fine with me. I am proud of our school and our young people. It is there night to shine. I’ll be thinking of nights to come and warm myself in the glow.

Thank you for reading. We’ll talk again soon.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home