Name:
Location: Illinois, United States

Monday, May 21, 2007

Cell Phones

My current employer is a major communications company. I work in customer service and assist representatives by providing the information they need to answer questions customer have about their equipment.

That sounds very vague so I will be clearer. I work for a wireless telephone company. If you have a question about your bill or cannot get your phone to work, you call my department. I try to find answers that the people you talk to do not know instantly.

When I started with the company, about three mergers ago, cell phones were very simple. There was no text messaging or internet. There were no cameras. You could not download ring tones. It was much simpler just a few short years ago.

They did not cell “bag phones” or “brick phones” when I started. I have not been working there more than ten years yet. Those types of phones stretch back to the 80’s and 90’s. I worked for a man who owned a brick phone. It worked, but it wasn’t very practical.

The problem with working for a cell phone company today is that people expect you to be an expert. There are so many different models of phones, superphones, blackberrys and PDAs that it is nearly impossible to be an expert on all models.

With ring tones, answer tones, text messaging, multi-media messaging, video, mobile television, 3G, mobile internet and so much more, it is amazing what phones can do these days.

We are just getting to the tip of the iceberg as well. Someday, you will use your phone, not only at vending machines, as has been discussed for years, but at restaurants and gas stations, in lieu of cash or credit cards. Just charge your purchase to the phone.

Earlier today, my daughter had a simple request. She wanted to download a couple ringtones and set them up for different callers. I know it could be done, but I could not explain how. My area is more about the bills than the handsets.

We went to the company website and discovered that her handset could not do what she wanted. My daughter has a phone that is already outdated.

In my mind, it is only eighteen months old. In the cell phone world, it is the equivalent of a Ford Model A during the 1980s. Nice to look at and maybe it works, but it is no longer practical.

Already I am adding “cell phone” to the list of things for my daughter’s next birthday. She is going to have to suffer with this one for the summer, but by the time her birthday rolls around, it will be worth it.

Thanks for reading. We will talk again soon.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home