Name:
Location: Illinois, United States

Tuesday, May 01, 2007

Seven Wonders of Illinois

The Illinois Bureau of Tourism announced a list of “seven wonders” of Illinois. All make sense, although none of Lincoln’s landmarks are included.

I have had personal experience with three of the affirmed ‘wonders’ and can say they are indeed wonderful. Starved Rock State Park in Utica, Illinois is a splendid location. I visited as a youth and have wanted to return with my children for years now. The stories and the rock formations make for a fascinating adventure for young and old.

Last summer, my wife encouraged us to visit Allerton Park and Retreat Center in Monticello. It is hard to get a guy to go look at flowers and bushes, but she had been there a year or so ago and wanted us to come. With a name like Allerton Park, she could have told me it was a horse race track and fooled me into going, but she is not that conniving and I am not that goofy.

I admit, it is a beautiful place. It is amazing the thought that went into such a place. The statues are amazing and the design is such that you do not see in Central Illinois. I encourage anyone who can appreciate the beauty of a flower to visit Allerton Park.

Black Hawk State Historic Site near Rock Island is on a list of places we may have to visit this summer. Last summer we were near to the “Meeting of the Great Rivers Scenic Byway” but did not to there or to Rend Lake near Benton. Appearing on the list give us all the more reason to travel that way again soon.

We also have not visited the Baha’i House of Worship in Wilmette, but may have to go that way on our way to find Krispy Kremes and White Castle sandwiches.

So where on the list should we put any of the Lincoln landmarks? What should we bump? Wrigley Field? Do not start that with me. All of my family has been to Wrigley Field and it is my personal sanctuary. For me, Wrigley Field is at the top of the list.

This list is for the places of spiritual, architectural and botanical wonder. Lincoln’s landmarks are a bounty of historical facts and feelings. Lincoln’s landmarks stir your mind and your heart. This list is filled with places that stir your soul.

The people who voted for the seven wonders picked a great list. Nice job to each one. It is going to make 2007 fun for me and my family.

Thank you for reading. We will talk again soon.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home