Name:
Location: Illinois, United States

Friday, June 16, 2006

Marian McPartland's Piano Jazz

Working in radio was an amazing experience for me. I was exposed to different types of music and different artists I never would have listened to otherwise.

The format of our station was called “Middle of the Road”. That meant “inoffensive” music. We played classics hits like Andy Williams’ “Moon River” along side recent (at the time) hits like the Captain and Tennille’s “Love Will Keep Us Together”.

We played artists like Count Basie, Lou Rawls, Johnny Mathis, Willie Nelson and the Magic Organ. I still am not a fan of country music, but I have learned to appreciate the music. I can watch movies like “Walk The Line” and “O Brother Where Out Thou” and really enjoy the music they offer.

During my time on the air I really grew to appreciate jazz. From Dave Grusin and George Benson to Duke Ellington and Stan Getz, the rhythms and beat of jazz music really picks up my spirits. Unfortunately, I live in an area in Illinois that doesn’t have a jazz station within reach of my radio. I can drive twenty miles in nearly any direction and I’ll catch one, but I live in a dead spot.

I’ve mentioned before the fantastic podcast Detroit JazzStage. You can still catch last month’s podcast featuring pianist Rick Roe. Listen carefully to “Hop On Pop” and “Salt River Blues”, both of which include collaborations with bassist Rodney Whitaker. All the music that can be heard on the podcast is fantastic but these selections are standouts.

What I really want to share with you today is the wonderful Marian McPartland. I first heard her music working on radio. I used to play from an album titled “Portrait of Marian McPartland” and a song titled “Spring Can Really Hang You Up The Most”.

Born in 1918, she’s been doing a radio program for NPR called “Piano Jazz” for over twenty-five years. Her program I can find on the University of Illinois’ fine radio station WILL, but its schedule and mine often conflict. Therefore, I have to satisfy myself with the podcasts available called “Piano Jazz Shorts”. They last anywhere from ten to twenty minutes and don’t do justice to the entire one hour program, but as close as they can.

In the coming weeks, you can hear her talk and play the piano with artists like Arturo Sandoval, Elvis Costello and Alicia Keyes. Not only that, they have scheduled a program she did with Clint Eastwood during the 1990s. I remember listening to much of that program when I used have a two hour drive to work each day. I was lucky enough to catch the program on the way home.

This was recorded not long after the movie “Bridges of Madison County” was released. This movie included many jazz selections and the apparently mismatched couple enjoy a fascinating discussion about music.

To the left, you’ll spot a link to “Piano Jazz”. I urge you to search for a station in your area, or at the least, subscribe to the shorter podcast. Either way, you won’t be disappointed.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home