Name:
Location: Illinois, United States

Thursday, March 08, 2007

Giving Blood

There are few things worse than giving blood. The needles are scary. The smell is offensive. The nurses carry on conversations around you like you are part of the furniture. The whole experience is unpleasant.

Still, giving blood is important. I have given blood since I was first old enough to be allowed. I went long stretches without giving because it was inconvenient to go wherever the donation center was located.

Now it is simple. They set up just a few blocks from my workplace twice a month. I have it on my schedule to give every two months.

I used to only visit bloodmobiles. I still prefer the bloodmobile. They move faster there. The blood donation center I regularly visit now is beginning to feel like home.

The first time I went, they didn’t take any blood. They tried in both arms and told me to come back in two weeks. Two weeks later, I went to a bloodmobile.

The next time I went they took blood from both arms. They had the wrong type of bags that didn’t have a special tube for sampling. They took a pint from one arm and the sample from the other. Ouch.

Yesterday, I visited and it was smooth sailing. Blood was taken from only one arm and it was a fairly quick visit all around. Either the people are getting better or I am getting used to the process.

Truthfully, I am not certain they are getting better. Another woman who arrived just before I did was trying to give. The nurse tried to get blood from both of her arms with no success. It was all I could do not to speak up and tell her my experience. “Run! Go find a bloodmobile!”

I am joking a little, but of the many times I have given blood, it has nearly always gone smoothly. I have never become ill. I have never contracted any disease. The people are always nice, but are careful not to get too chatty. They know they have to keep things moving.

In the time of war, it is more important than ever for people to give. I can only give so much, and this is a way I can contribute. I am not in favor of the policy we have or the reasons we went to Iraq, but I want our soldiers to have the best of everything. Although I wish I could do more, this is my small, tangible way of offering them my support.

If you are healthy and have not traveled to Africa recently, visit a blood donation center or bloodmobile. It is only a few minutes out of your day and you get free snacks and juice. What a deal!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home