Name:
Location: Illinois, United States

Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Joke of the Day

My son told me a joke yesterday morning:

Question – “What did the escalator say to the person riding it?”

Answer – “Nothing. It just staired.”

I love this joke. My eight-year-old son has a million of them. Some, like this one, are pretty good.

As you read this, you may tell me that you read it somewhere before, and that’s fine. As far as I am concerned, my son made this up and told a great joke.

I grew up trying to be funny. I was not blessed with an athletic body. I am not a member of Mensa. Being funny was an outlet.

As I get older, I realize that I am not that funny either. I could never be a Billy Crystal or Robin Williams. There are some great comedians out there. There are some poor comedians too. I doubt I could compete with the poor ones.

Comedy is precious. Like mercury, what is funny today may not be tomorrow.

On the news today, the report that Dick Cheney was the target of a suicide bomber. Somehow the smirking imitation by so many comics and writers is not so gratifying. I do not care how much you dislike Cheney, he is our Vice President. No one wants to see him killed.

But I digress.

I hope my son can develop and nurture his great sense of humor. I don’t want him to be a stand-up comic. That is a hard life I would not wish on him. I do want him to get along with people and a sense of humor is a great place to start.

In the meantime, my son is now my comedy writer. “It just staired”. Makes me smile each time I think about it.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home