Name:
Location: Illinois, United States

Tuesday, February 13, 2007

Dimm View of Winter

Winter has finally arrived in Central Illinois! Certainly there are hundreds of other things to write about, but the one thing on my mind, and my family’s mind, is the snow. Before all is done there could be over a foot of new snow outside.

I do not remember the last time we had this much snow. I do remember the last terrible snow was on New Year’s Eve in 1998/1999. I remember because my (then) sixteen year old daughter was stuck in Nashville, Tennessee trying to get home.

Despite the recent cold temperatures and the blizzard-like conditions today, I still believe our world is a victim to global warming. It is just that days like today make it a hard-sell.

So today, my wife and I are not going to work. The roads between here and my job are shut down and, although my wife can get to work, nobody else can or should. Schools are closed so my daughter is still asleep (at 10:00a) and my son has spent a good portion of the morning playing video games.

I have been playing with the blog a little since last night. If you have not noticed, I have added an “Atom” to the blog. You can spot it off to the left. The “Atom” allows you to subscribe to the blog. That way you do not miss anything brilliant I may write.

Please sign up for the blog and let your friends know. If you are stuck at home in the middle of the Midwest snow storm, take this opportunity now to call or email your friends. Of course, you could be reading about global warming, or watching the Al Gore movie, “An Inconvenient Truth”, since you have the extra time (by the way, the movie is excellent). Still, emailing or calling your friends about “A Dimm View of Life” is just as important from a “making the world a better place” standpoint.

While you are talking to your friends about the blog, do not forget to remind them that Barack Obama is running for president. They may want to do some reading.

If they enjoy jazz, tell them about “Detroit JazzStage”. If they like baseball, let them know that pitchers and catchers are starting to show up in Arizona and Florida. If they like political humor, tell them about “Wait, Wait…Don’t Tell Me” and “LeShow”.

Or better yet, ask them how their family is, or how work is going. See if you can’t get together as a family, or maybe just for coffee. Not today, of course.

The point is, do not let the weather cut you off or get you down. The world is still bright and beautiful. It is just a little whiter right now.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home