Name:
Location: Illinois, United States

Friday, February 02, 2007

Wait, Wait... Don't Tell Me!

The MP3 player must be considered one of the best inventions of the later days of the twentieth century. Five Germans are credited with developing the audio compression technology that we enjoy today in various instruments, including I-Pods and cell phones.

Today, Bernhard Grill, Karl-Heinz Brandenburg, Thomas Sporer, Bernd Kurten, and Ernst Eberlein are my heroes. Someday I will explain where the acronym MP3 comes from, but that is not what I want to tell you about today.

Today I want to tell you about what I am listening to with my MP3. Much has already been said about the superior jazz music podcast “Detroit JazzStage”. Sunday morning political programs, such as “Face the Nation” and “This Week” also find their way to my daily trips to work and home.

Still, there is a place on my MP3 for humor. I was so disappointed that Michael Feldman’s “Whad’Ya Know” couldn’t be downloaded in its entirety. It is available as a stream on the internet, but I cannot sit still in front of the computer that long.

Feldman does offer a short snippet from the show as a podcast, but it is not one of my favorite parts of his program, so I let it go.

Since I first received my MP3 I have been listening to Harry Shearer’s “LeShow”. It is one of the most consistently funny and well written programs produced for radio today. It will get you thinking as well and get you laughing, which is why I enjoy it so.

If you find a moment, check out this past week’s (January 28, 2007) program. Along with Shearer’s dry wit, the show features a song by “The Bobs” called “Slow Down Krishna”. The Bobs are an A cappella group from California who sound great and the song is hilarious.

Recently I stumbled across a program on NPR quite by accident. How I could have missed the program I do not know but I had never heard of it until this fall.

Since 1979, NPR has produced a program titled “Wait, Wait…Don’t Tell Me”. It is a quiz program where NPR voices Peter Sagal and Carl Kasell shoot questions at such celebrities as Mo Rocca, P.J. O’Rourke, Roy Blount Jr. and Paula Poundstone.

The program has a stable of close to twelve panelists and each week three appear on the program to suffer the slings and arrows Sagal provides. What makes the program so appealing is that you hear about news you may have missed the previous week, and you find that intelligent people, like Blount and Kyrie O’Connor (Deputy Managing Editor of the Houston Chronicle), have also missed a few things as well.

Each of the people chosen to participate have an extensive list of writing credits and are known for expressing their views on what is going on in the world. They are not afraid to speak up here as well.

The program is produced live in Chicago each week, which always is a plus for me. My goal this summer is to talk one or more of my family into going to the Chase Auditorium some Thursday night for a taping.

Included is a link to the podcast off to the left. The program is usually about forty-five minutes long and worth every minute. If you like to laugh and enjoy the wit of television programs like “The Daily Show” and the “Colbert Report”, you will love this. Enjoy!

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home