Name:
Location: Illinois, United States

Sunday, August 13, 2006

Odds and Ends: LCS, JazzStage and other Podcasts

*** I was out of town Wednesday night, so I watched the finale of “Last Comic Standing” Friday night. I was pleasantly pleased.

First, Anthony Clark was more nervous than he has been, mispronouncing names and words. I may not be able to do a better job, but I bet others could. My vote for next year goes to the very funny John Heffron or the previously mentioned Kathy Griffin. Both could add a lot of spin to the show.

Josh Blue may not have been the “funniest” comic, but he is fun to watch. I hope he has a long successfully career. Ty Barnett had a very funny set Wednesday and I have high hopes for this young Chicago comic. Overall, this year’s program rivaled year two. Let’s hope for an even more improved year five!

***Rodney and Jim have a new “Detroit JazzStage” podcast available and it is another winner.

The spotlight this month is on the amazing Tumbao Bravo. Jim and Rodney visit with band leaders Alberto Nacif and Paul Vornhagen. Both men have spent years in the Detroit area and the performances showcased here are exceptional.

As great as the music is, the interviews truly make the program. I always come away with a new perspective. This month, listen for the discussion of the description “Latin” music.

Trumpeter Mark Byerly, an important member of the JazzStage team, dedicated to the fine piano musician Hilton Ruiz. Visit the JazzStage website and click the link to learn more about this exceptional musician who left us way too soon this past June.

***I am looking forward to sharing some new podcasts with you. Each week I am scouting for new, original podcasts of any variety.

Although I have already shared my interest in television rebroadcasts of political programs (Face The Nation, C-SPAN’s Q&A, etc.), and radio rebroadcasts (KCRW's LeShow, BookWorm, etc.), in my view, what really makes a good podcast is something original.

My enjoyment of music has encouraged me to scout around music programs, but many are either disk jockey shows, or individuals spouting opinions (Like me with my blog. How ironic!). Whether you are talking about a movie, television show, political speech, song or podcast, the measure of any such a production is what it leaves with you when it is finished.

Sometimes you are left with a motive to pursue an agenda. Sometimes you are left remembering something good from your past. Other times you are simply left with a smile.

Any way you slice it, a successful program leaves you thinking. I have found a few programs that do just that and am looking forward to share some of those in the near future.

If you have a favorite podcast, please leave a comment or email me at the link to the left.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home